About Sigma Xi » News » Sigma Xi Members Speak at USA Science and Engineering Festival
April 24, 2014
Sigma Xi Members Will Speak at USA Science & Engineering Festival
Sigma Xi is helping to get students excited about STEM careers. Eight Sigma Xi members are speakers today at X-STEM, an extreme symposium for elementary through high school students. Additionally, Sigma Xi's executive director, Jerry Baker, is an X-STEM emcee.
The event is part of the USA Science & Engineering Festival.
X-STEM features interactive presentations and workshops to inspire students about careers in science, technology, engineering, and math. The symposium is being held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC. Students with a strong interest in STEM, as well as educators and parents, were encouraged to attend.
Sigma Xi members who are speakers at X-STEM are:
- Dr. Colin Adams, Mathematician, Williams College
- Dr. Sylvia Earle, Oceanographer, National Geographic Society and Sigma Xi's 2005 John P. McGovern Science and Society Award recipient
- Dr. John Holdren, Assistant to the President for Science and Technology, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
- Dr. James Kakalios, Physicist, University of Minnesota
- Dr. Catherine Mohr, Surgical Robotist, Intuitive Surgical Inc.
- Dr. Wendy Rogers, Psychology Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Dr. Joseph A. Schwarcz, Chemical Scientist, McGill University
- Dr. Kathryn Thornton, Physicist and Astronaut, University of Virginia
The USA Science & Engineering Festival is a national grassroots effort to advance STEM education and inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers.
The festival continues April 25 with "Sneak Peak Friday" for school groups, home-schooled students, and military families. It opens to the public April 26-27 for a free expo weekend.
In addition to his participation at X-STEM, Jerry Baker will be an emcee April 27 for the festival on the Curie Stage.
More information is available at: http://www.usasciencefestival.org/