Forming an International Chapter
Steps to Form International Chapter
- The group must have a minimum of 18 active (dues-paid) members of Sigma Xi, at least 9 of whom must be full members. Individuals who are not yet members may be nominated and elected to membership through the Society's Committee on Qualifications and Membership.
- The group submits a Letter of Intent to form an International Chapter to the Executive Director. In return, the organizers receive explicit instructions on how to establish a chapter in the Society.
- The chapter organizers prepare a formal petition to Sigma Xi to establish a chapter. The petition may vary in style but normally includes the following elements:
- A description of the institution(s) at which the chapter will be hosted, including degree-granting programs in the sciences and engineering and an estimated number of degrees awarded each year to graduates and undergraduates;
- General research activities of the institution(s), including activities of undergraduates, with perhaps one or two areas highlighted in detail;
- A three-year plan for obtaining new members and chapter activities;
- Supporting letters from one or more administrators at each institution; and
- A sheet with the signatures of the 18 or more active members agreeing to become charter members of the chapter.
- The petition is forwarded to the Society's headquarters and then to the International Committee for their recommendation on the petition for chapters outside the United States and Canada.
- The recommendation of the International Committee is forwarded along with the petition to the Society's Committee on Qualifications and Membership for their review and recommendation.
- The recommendation of the Committee on Qualifications and Membership is forwarded to the Society's Board of Directors for their approval of the new chapter.
- If the Board of Directors approves the establishment of the chapter, a suitable installation ceremony is arranged to install the new chapter with a Society representative acting as the installing officer.
For More Information Contact:
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
P. O. Box 13975
3106 East NC Highway 54
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 USA